Goal Setting. I can’t believe we are starting a New Year! Where did 2015 go? I love talking about and creating Goals, and last year I did not publicly share my goals. I’ll be real; I had some goals from the previous year but never set new ones for 2015. I had them stored in my head. This year I’m going to be authentic and share it all!
First a little recap of 2015. I had four couples booked for weddings this past year. I LOVED all of them, and each one became special in a different way. I was able to build a relationship with each one, and for that I am incredibly grateful. I also shot at new venues which was incredibly exciting. Well let’s put it this year, all of them were a dream come true! (Yes I’m a little kid and get excited over the littlest things….) I got to photograph my AWESOME couples at the following venues: Cohasset Lion Inn, Wychmere Beach Club, Historic Wayside Inn and Danversport Yacht Club.
My goal was to photograph five weddings and second shoot ten weddings. I had four of my own, so I wasn’t quite there but very close, and drumroll please…… I second shot 15 weddings this past year! One of the best parts was having the chance to work with 13 different photographers and also assist a film photographer. In-between a crazy busy fall season I photographed engagement sessions for my weddings next year, and portrait sessions throughout. I tallied up and had over 30 portraits sessions. WOW is all I have to say right now. This was a huge jump for me from the previous year. I can’t help but be giddy and excited to see what is in store for 2016!
Now let’s get to this year’s goals. I have set some realistic goals for myself, which I hope to achieve over the course of this coming year. It will make me face my weaknesses and become stronger. I’ve also set up some Big Hairy Audacious Goals (BHAGs), the ones that are still realistic but it will be harder to achieve.
- Book ten weddings this year. I have four booked so far and can’t wait to meet more amazing couples and photograph their special day
- Photograph 40 portrait sessions – I love anniversaries shoots and couples. I have not photographed a proposal yet (but would love to if you’re reading this, wink wink!)
- Book a destination wedding
- Attend a photography conference this year
- Finish the Online Photography Academy and become a certified Wedding Photographer
- Create the Jen Araya Photography Bridal Guide
- Invest in a Business Coach
- Learn how to say No at opportunities that don’t fit my brand
- Blog consistently. I’m going to stick with it once a week and hope to work up to twice a week this year. Being more consistent is the most important factor to me right now
- Get published online or in print
- Pay myself and pay taxes quarterly
- Photograph a wedding or portrait session in all 50 states
- Blog 3 times a week
- Use my passport to travel to a destination wedding out of the country
- Go Full time in 2017
- Travel more for photography
- Book 20 weddings
- Organize a styled shoot
- Organize the basement
- Ski Whistler
- Get fit & eat healthier = working out at least 3x a week
- Be more positive person
- Spend quality time with my husband such as scheduling date nights ahead of time and not breaking them
It’s important to set and achieve goals in your life. The best part of them is looking back to see what you’ve accomplished. It’s only going to make you a better person when you can look back on the goals you have achieved as well as the ones that you haven’t. When you don’t face the failed ones then you won’t learn how to get better. Here’s to facing the fears and failures and recognizing the achievements. Cheers to 2016!
I love all of your goals and here’s to an amazing 2016!
Thanks Laura!!! 🙂
What awesome goals! Love the business and personal ones! Cheers to the new year and best wishes!
Cheers to you Christa! Thanks for the love 🙂
These are great! This was my first new year’s setting goals for myself, so it’s cool to see how other people are approaching it too. 🙂 Sounds like you’re on track for an amazing year!!
Thanks Lorna! Send me your goals I would love to see what you have 🙂
Love these goals and the idea of scheduling a date night. Too often we let life get in the way.
Hi Kenzie! It’s so hard, I know for myself I do a lot better when I plan ahead. I hope you make time for your loved ones!
Great goals! Are you attending imaging?
Hi Amanda, no are you?